Friday, February 19, 2016

Little Black Dress- day 19

I have shared with a lot of you, that for the month of February I am wearing the same black dress.....every day. It is to help raise awareness, and funds, to the fact the girls we are helping do not have a choice; in what they wear, in what they do, in anything. So by removing my simple choice of what to wear, I can get a glimpse of what they experience.
What I have discovered is:
  1. I have way too much clothes! I plan to purge quite a bit of my stuff, and give to our survivors.
  2. You cannot be vain and do this - it will cure you of that!
  3. The lack of choice was sorta freeing :)  It has shaved 20 mins off my morning routine!!!!
  4. I do miss my flannel shirts :)
  5. Not as many people notice that I am wearing the same thing, so it really hasn't been as intimidating as I was expecting.
But the best thing that I have discovered was the (unrealized) teachable moment with Audrey. One Sunday when I was washing my dress, Audrey panicked "Mommy you can't take it off, it is for the girls". Soo sweet and precious. She persistently asked me to make her a black dress, so this past week I did. She wore it almost every day. I wanted to make sure it was her choice, not me influencing her. She wore it 4 out of 5 days. So proud she is able, and willing to help others at age 4!!

Are you? Willing to help?
You can donate to the "Little Black Dress Project" Fund here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive