Thursday, January 14, 2010

Third strike and ??????

Literally starting Jan 1st, a light switch flipped and I felt 9 months pregnant.
I have been soo blessed with and easy pregnancy- so all the symptoms (fatigue, groin pain, braxton hicks contractions, and swelling) came as a surprise to me. I truly thought I would make it up to my due date and out pops Aulden.

On New Years Day- we did a pretty good hike for me to the Rock House at Reedy Creek Park- and by the time we were done, my right shin hurt. Didn't think too much about it- figured it was a shin splint.

Last Sat, Jan 9- JAMES BIG 3-1 BIRTHDAY, we were out walking a lot at malls for dinner and running errands. By bed time, I was pooped. Sitting in the bed, I took off my socks and shoes... and HOLY COW- What is that!? Not only had I lost both my ankles, but I had a Shrek foot!!! I am not joking when I say just my right foot looked like a Cabbage Patch Kid doll. It was swollen all the way down my legs to my toes. No shape inwards, infact it was bulging outwards. - "Oh no, this is not gonna work". So I go online to try and find ways of prevention. While looking they mention if one leg swells more than the other it could be 1) Preclampsia (which I discounted b/c I have low blood pressure) or 2) a blood clot. So humm...... maybe I should call the Dr monday morning.

Monday- Jan 11, So I do, and they called me back w/in 30 mins- they wanted me to come in and checkedout. Geez- I go in, Dr sees me for about hr- and then she admits me to the hospital to have a Dopplar test of my leg done. Luckily, it came back that there were no clots. So they attributed all the swelling to retaining water and that Aulden was just sitting on my right side compressing circulation. But she wanted me to come back on Wed for my normal biweekly check up.

Wed Jan 12- My apt was at 3:15 and Hannah was coming with me this time. We were taken back by 3, and just chatting away, so we were not really paying attention. They weighed me (which I had gained 3-5 lbs since monday, 2 days ago!!!!), and took my vital signs. Blood pressure 154/90 something. Still we are chatting away. Then it hit me- "Hannah did she say 154???" I normally have low blood pressure so this was REALLY high for me. They came back in about 15 min later to take it again.... 138/89 - WHAT?"The Dr is right outside and will be right in to talk with you."
The Dr comes in and talks with me very calmly and said- "I think we need to admit you so I can monitor what is going on. The combination of rapid weight gain, swelling and high blood pressure could be trending towards Preclampsia". "Ok, so what does that mean?" "Let's just watch for a while and then we will go from there" - They immediately escort me through a secret passway into the Maternity triage ward.
From there I got hooked up to every monitor possible, had blood taken...... and waited...... for 4 hours.
My blood pressure came down and averaged 98-104 over 58-64. Which is where I normally sit. So they let me go home around 8 with the condition that I would come back on friday, 1/15 to get checked out.

So Three strikes and... ? ???? I don't know. If my blood pressure is high, or if there are any other signs that it is trending towards or has developed into preclampsia- they will probably put me on bed rest. I have been told there is nothing you can do to 'get it' or prevent it. It just is and you either have it or you don't. So if I don't have it now, it still may show up later. So at the moment everything is on hold. Pray for James :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive